Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunday 2nd August: Southend - Tayinloan

The forecast was for W4-5 backing S3-4, so I struck camp and set off. Neil, one of my neighbours on the campsite, helped with the return of keys, and filmed while I battered the trolley wheels into their small gap in the forward tank.





The first sea kayaks for weeks appeared ahead, and turned out to be Lewis and Magda - friends from previous "symposiums" (sea kayak rallies). They had turned back at the Mull because the conditions were bigger than they wanted for a pleasant day trip so, knowing that Lewis is a far better paddler than I am, and suspecting that the same might be true of Magda, I had a few moments of doubt. Still, no harm in taking a look...


Rounding the Mull, I estimated the seas at around 3 metres (so no photos), but they were of long wavelength and so posed little problem. I chose to paddle along the eddy line, avoiding the largest of the overfalls, but staying offshore of the adverse eddy itself.
The sea state quickly settled down, and I made good time, with a favourable southerly wind, and the tide still setting north.













The scenery mellowed, and to seaward the hills of Islay and the Paps of Jura dominated the horizon. I had calculated that a quick dash into the lee of these islands would protect me from the worst sea state if there should be a resumption of the strong westerlies of the last few days.













The campsite, just south-east of Rhunahaorine Point, was scenic, friendly and welcoming, but jaw-droppingly expensive, and you are recommended to boil any drinking water.

Two days of southerly up to F7 are promised so I tied the boat down before turning in.

I've had some news that might mean I have to truncate trip very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment