Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thursday 6th August: Journey's end

Just as the weather improves, and just as I've entered a sea-kayaking paradise, it's time to bring the trip to a close. I need a few days to prepare for the change of change of career that follows, so it has been clear to me for some time that I'll not be able to make it all the way round Britain this summer. In the event, the end of the trip has been brought forward a little by news of a relative taken ill, so I have some visiting to fit in before September, too.
Colin McWilliams drove down to the campsite this morning to meet me and take me out to breakfast - a lovely guy, and I hope his new kayak coaching/guiding business goes from strength to strength.
There will be some more posts here, as I wrap up some loose ends and record some technical stuff that might be of use to other paddlers contemplating a similar odyssey (kit reviews, etc.).

Meanwhile, thanks:
  • to everyone who has been motivating me by following this blog and commenting;
  • to all of you who have contributed so generously to Musequality and the MS
    Society (if you were thinking of getting round to it, it's not too late...);
  • to all of you who have welcomed me into your homes, and shown so many other kindnesses; and especially
  • to my wife, who has supported me with unfailing good grace, despite having all the worry of a husband at sea, and none of the control!
I leave our beautiful coastline, frustratingly, just at the start of Simon Willis' Scottish Sea Kayak Trail, but keen to come back one day and carry on.

9 comments:

  1. Well done Graham - it's a shame you've had to cut your trip short but you have achieved much in getting so far. I've enjoyed following your blog immensely and do hope you get to resume your journey at some point.

    I look forward to hearing your travellers tales in person before too long.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got round to reading the rest of your blog after returning from a very wet week at renaissance music summer school in Ambleside - congratulations on getting so far, and commiserations on having to cut your voyage short at this point. I have much enjoyed reading your bulletins and looking at your photos, and hope you will be able to resume the journey at an early date. Good luck with the career change, and I look forward to hearing more traveller's tales at ABC rehearsals.

    All the best, Ruth (H)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Graham. A great trip with so many incidents and memories to take with you. It's good to leave at the start of the SSKT - what better place to pick up and continue.

    I hope you transition back to the real world is smooth - (unlike most of your days at sea) and your 'day job' from September works out well. We look forward to welcoming you Izy and friends to Dorset to paddle as soon as the dust has settled.

    BX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done a fantastic achievment

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent achievement - well done!

    Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw the Soundslide. Well done! Respect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've enjoyed following your progress - the rest of Britain isn't going away anywhere, I'm sure you'll be back!

    Mark R

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete