Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thursday 18th June: Abersoch - Machroes (2 miles forward; 1 mile back)

The wind had moderated a notch, so I launched and pushed into the conditions past the point at Trwyn yr Wylfa, taking maximum advantage of the lee of the high ground to the north. The conditions were within limits, but I knew that by the time I reached the end of the Lleyn peninsular I would be tired and facing a long paddle on the lee shore to the north-east, with few opportunities to get ashore safely. Judging that the safety margins would be too fine, I called off the trip, turned back, and pulled ashore by the old lifeboat station at Machroes.
There I met Ken Dodd. No, not him, but a friendly local builder converting the old boathouse into a home. It turns out that Ken knows some of the paddling community in Anglesey. Small world.
Camped at a much more reasonably priced site just up the hill, and waited...

No comments:

Post a Comment