Thursday, June 4, 2009

Wednesday 3rd June: Fall Bay - Manorbier (20 n.mi.)



Another early start to be on the water for 0500. Launched from the beach onto a flat calm sea, and paddled past a small flotilla of fishing boats off Worms Head. Dawn rose and the temperture started to climb as I crossed Camarthen Bay on a bearing. Shoals of moon jellyfish drifted by, gannets were diving ahead, and the monastery island of Caldney grew gradually larger.
Weariness started to grip me as it drew near, and the last few miles were a slog, despite the beautiful, seal-infested, cliffs under the Manorbier firing range.
It took an hour to get the boat up the beach at Manorbier, and I knew that I was getting seriously dehydrated despite having eschewed my drysuit in favour of Chillcheater gear, and drinking as I paddled. The (brand new) trolley is playing up already - wheels splaying and bearings squealing - time for a re-design I think. Tried to clean out the bearings at the top of the beach, but the quick release nut is cross-threaded :-(
Dragged the boat up to the village, in the hope of getting a shower at a campsite, and drank 3 litres of fluid, still feeling thirsty at the end. The thermometer reads 36 Celsius...

No comments:

Post a Comment