Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tuesday 21st July: waiting on weather

Yesterday's was a great paddle, in near-ideal conditions. However, there is a problem with the weather this "summer", and today I'm stuck ashore in the wind and rain. Just as well, because that set of charts should arrive at the local post office.
On the way up from the harbour yesterday, I dropped into the post office to warn them that I was expecting a poste restante package, and it was just as well that I did. Quite a few small sub-postoffices have, quite reasonably, decided that they lack the space to hold mail for collection, and it was only by promising to turn up when the delivery arrived, that I avoided its being returned to the main post office at Stranraer. Everything worked fine in the end: I collected the package and bought some groceries, getting only the mildest of lectures from a lady I took to be the postmistress.
Back to the tent: passage planning, cooking, laundry, and time to read the newspaper. I gather that the rest of you are living in fear of something called swine 'flu, which apparently is a disease of humans, not pigs.

1 comment:

  1. You are progressing nicely Graham, excellent reports.
    As for the swine flu, its mostly BS, no worse than average flu and the papers have never sold so many copies in years ;-)
    Best regards

    Mike

    ReplyDelete