Thursday, May 7, 2009

Monday 4th May: Mawgan Porth - Padstow (11 n.mi.)

The surf seemed a little lower this morning, maybe, so I decided to press north towards Port Isaac. Izy and Jemima helped manhandle the boat down the beach, and Mike F and Peter stationed themselves on the cliffs for a grandstand view, calling to mind a couple of old crones waiting by the guillotine for the entertainments to commence. On the first attempt, I failed to clear the final surf break and swam the boat ashore, but the second try succeeded. Unfortunately, conditions outside the break were not much better, with a stiff westerly moaning in the paddles, and seas breaking over the boat, weighing down the spraydeck, so I paused at Harlyn Bay to take stock and decided to cut the trip short at Padstow, where good shelter and the facilities of the town could be had.


Kit loss for the day was limited to the maps from my spraydeck; however the extra difficulty of using backup systems in today's conditions further reduced my safety margin and made the decision to put in to Padstow inevitable.

1 comment:

  1. how was Trevose Head. Ian and I had an absolute epic round there last summer.

    ReplyDelete