Friday, May 15, 2009

Thursday 14th May: Westward Ho - Watermouth (16 n.mi.)





A short leg today, to position myself for crossing the Bristol Channel.  Barbara was in touch, proposing a trip to Lundy but, much as I would love to go there, I'm catching up on the miles.


At each headland, the nature of the coast changes.  
Here at Bull Point, the green surface of North Devon starts to sweep down from the clifftops.






Met paddlers Michelle & Clive, with their dogs Tilley (black lab.) and Pudding, fishing for bass just east of Lee Bay.  Camped in the rain on the site immediately east of Watermouth hbr, and I'm expecting to be here for a day or two as the forecast is for more gales.  There's a weather window tomorrow morning, but I suspect that the vis will be down owing to rain and, since I'll be crossing a major shipping lane, I'd rather like to be able to see what's about to run me down.

The campsite here hires sit-on-tops, presumably to anyone who asks.  The tidal stream along this coast reaches 4 knots at springs.  Must remember to ask them about this...

No comments:

Post a Comment