Sunday, May 10, 2009

Saturday 9th May: Padstow - Boscastle (17 n.mi.)

Finally, back on the water. Launched from the dinghy club slip on the camel trail, but it was low water so I ended up towing the boat a fair distance. Got caught by surf on the Doom Bar, and took a swim, but my re-entry roll worked OK and I pumped out and continued, taking shelter in the lee of the headland, and again at picturesque Port Isaac, to finish the job.
Tintagel Head looked magical in the afternoon sun, but I was mistaken to think that there would be some shelter from the 2-3 m atlantic swell in its lee. Off the headland there was a very confused sea with plenty of clapotis, and in its lee the seas were more regular but, if anything, larger. All this made the entry into the small port of Boscastle interesting to say the least - and probably quite fun for the sightseers on the cliffs. (Some were taking photos, and I'd love a copy)
Alas, no photos today as I'd forgotten to put the battery back in the camera - doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment