Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Monday 20th April: Plymouth - Lantic Bay (Just East of Fowey) (23 n.mi.)

Woke early and wandered around outside to get VHF reception for the 0710 MSI broadcast from Brixham Coastguard. Missed it, owing to an interruption from the MoD police, who understandably thought I was doing something fishy. Paddled across to the marina at Queen Anne's Battery for some supplies for running repairs, and missed the 1010 MSI as I was in a VHF shadow.
Went past the famous Hoe, and north of Drake Island before turning south past the breakwater. Plymouth Sound is showing signs of spring; the trees are coming into leaf. As a result of missing the MSI, I had no "gunfacts" and hence did not know whether the Tregantle Rifle Range was firing today (later I could hear that it was). Out of nowhere came five short blasts in the measured basso that denotes a seriously large vessel. I looked around to see what was about to run me down, and listened on Ch.16... "Securitay, securitay, securitay..." Warship Marie Louise was about to commence live firing a few miles south of me, and was establishing a 10 n.mi. exclusion zone. So I paddled on a bearing, running the gauntlet between one bunch of people with little guns, and a group of (presumably) Frenchmen with rather big guns (judging from the thunderous reports). Hence I had a rather tiring and boring paddle.
Arrived at Lantic Bay to camp on the beach. The bay is stunningly beautiful - the cliffs around are full of blooming gorse, primroses, blackthorn and a dozen other species that I can't identify. I lost my bag of cooking condiments in Sheerness, and didn't notice before setting off again, so tonight's meal was just a disgusting bunkering operation.
Treated later to a night sky dripping with stars: The heaven-tree hung with humid night-blue fruit - Joyce.

A thought on Fowey:

Oh the harbour of Fowey
Is a beautiful spot
And it's there I enjowey
To sail in a yot;

Or to race in a yacht
Round a mark or a buoy
-Such a beautiful spacht
Is the harbour of Fuoy!

- Arthur Quiller-Couch

No comments:

Post a Comment