Friday, April 24, 2009

Wednesday 22nd April: Pentewan - Falmouth (19 n.mi.)


Pentewan sands dry out a long way at LW (well, duh!), so launching was a bit of a struggle. Once on the water, conditions were a bit choppy and the boat was slamming tiresomely as I pushed into a freshening southerly. Stopped for a late lunch in a sheltered cove (photo of deceptively calm waters in tropical turquoise colours loaded, now that I have access to a USB port). Phoned Jeff Allan from below St.Anthony lighthouse, and crossed the entrance of Falmouth harbour to the eponymous chorale, as set by Brahms.
At Swanpool Sands, Jeff, Simon Osbourne and families met me and helped carry the boat up the beach. Jeff and Simon, both expedition paddlers of prodigious accomplishment (just google for them!) opined that I should be round Lands End tomorrow, but looking at the charts I can see that this just isn't going to happen.
Set off up the hill for the campsite marked at 798311, to discover that it doesn't exist any more, but fell into conversation with one of the locals who introduced me to a neighbour who offered hospitality (thanks Jackie!) and a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment