Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday 29th March: Sheerness - Reculver (17 n.mi.)

Light airs and smooth sea state. Launched at Sheerness, put in[1] to Herne Bay at 1700 to see whether my friends of a fortnight ago were there, then proceeded to Reculver. (No pictures , as the waterproof camera has been stolen, and my old one is insufferably clunky to use at sea). The recovery there is up a steep, rubble-strewn track, but the Kari-tek trolley coped well. Some locals at Herne Bay had recommended the King Ethelbert Inn as a good stopover, and so it proved to be. Landlord John, his staff and customers, all plied me with hospitality, and I camped in the grounds of the pub.

Notes:
[1] Kayakers use "put in" to mean "launch". Other seafarers use the same expression for a visit to a port or haven from seaward, which is almost the opposite thing. From henceforth , I'll stick to the second usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment