Friday, April 17, 2009

Thursday 16th April: Dawlish Warren - Brixham (14 n.mi.)

I was so keen to leave DW that I didn't even bother with a proper breakfast! Nowhere is all bad, however, and a chance meeting on the beach has left me with a promise of accommodation with 539 Assault Squadron, Royal Marines, when I reach Plymouth. Like I said, you meet some interesting people!
Conditions had kicked up a bit, and there was a confused sea, about 1m, for the first half of the day. Slow progress, but it didn't matter as I had no intention of trying to go further than Brixham today. The sun came out and revealed the rich colours of the old red sandstone contrasting with the deep greens of woodland and pasture on the hills.
Into Brixham in the sunshine. A delightful old fishing port full of quaint pictureque charm. Helpful Tourist Info office pointed me to a B&B that welcomed me and the boat. Rest day planned for tomorrow, to repair body and kit before the next big push.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Graham,
    The hope that we sea kayakers from the great Metropolis might join you for a weekend are fading as you continue to make incredibly good progress westward! Is this a not so subtle comment? :D

    The editor in me would just like to note that you appear to have invented time travel.

    Hope the winds and tides continue to favour you.
    Much love
    Izy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Graham, I hope you had a good rest day and I wonder where you are now. You seem to be travelling westwards very quickly. I suppose the tide helps and you're obviously excellent at planning!

    We enjoyed catching up with Izy and Abby in Aldeburgh and I think a good time was had by all. We (ABC) even had a mention in the Sunday Telegraph this weekend!

    Happy paddling

    Love, Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent at planning? Guffaws all round!
    Hi Lulu, the truth is that I've been very lucky with conditions. There has been a high pressure system parked over northern Britain for weeks, and it has brought unseasonal (but very helpful) easterlies in the Channel.
    Glad ABC's outing to the Maltings went well. Looking forward to seeing the crits when I get back!

    ReplyDelete