Sunday, April 12, 2009

Saturday 11th April: East Wittering - Yarmouth IoW (25 n.mi.)

A much better day today. Had some problems with the trolley disintegrating on the way down to the beach - not sure what caused it or whether I've found a cure. HW at Wittering and surf dumping onto the shingle bank made for an interesting launch (and probably quite dramatic for the onlookers). Today I have four charts on deck (Admiralty Leisure folio, that fold in half and fit neatly in an A3 Ortlieb document case), and they survived the launch and the rest of the day without even getting damp. Well done, Ortlieb.
Stood well off to avoid the surf break, and saw a couple of other sea kayaks in the distance. They looked as though they were heading for the south of the Isle of Wight, whereas I had changed plan and abandoned the idea of doing St.Catherine's Point as the tides are a bit late today.
A quick chat to QHM Portsmouth on the radio, and I was safely across the deep water channel that leads into the major naval base, and then lunched at Gillicker Point. Unable to raise Southampton VTS (my low antenna height is a problem), so had to do the Solent crossing just on visuals. Fortunately, traffic was light, but I did have that nervous small-furry-animal-scuttling-across-motorway feeling.
Two knots of tide under me most of the way to Yarmouth, where I was met by friend and former colleague Dugald and hosted royally by him and his family. Sun really did try to get out on the last mile to Yarmouth, and I was treated to a fine display of crepuscular rays.

4 comments:

  1. Weel, after an evening of jollility, we finally got Graham up and off towards The Needles. Lovely day for paddling, with a light (and cold) northerly. Poole Bay should be calm, and with up to 3 knots of tide, Graham should make it to land well before 5 tonight.
    Will put the photos up as soon as i work out how!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graham,

    Have the photos, but don't seem to have rights to post photos!!! (Or am just being thick and can't find the right button!). Let me know how to do it, and I'll stick them up for you.

    Dugald

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi graham.. its mark here from dungeness.. hope its all going well.. i was going to put up the pictures i took on my phone but you dont appear to have your blog set so other people,can add pictures.. ive tried everything so let me know.. ill get autun (not orton as you put..ha ha..) to get his pics up when you sort it, or let me know an email address & ill send them to you & you can post them..

    good luck
    mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dug, Mark, in the time available I can't figure out how to attach pictures to comments, so please go ahead and email them to kayakfreelunch at googlemail dot com. When I next have a chance to update the blog, I'll publish them.

    Meanwhile, if anyone else knows the magic incantation for letting commenters post pictures, please let us know!

    ReplyDelete